Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Monday 12 November 2018

RADICALLY TRANSFORM THE WORLD






I came across this quote on Facebook. It was put there my my daughter's long term partner. He and I differ radically on many things especially religion. I am a Christian and he is an atheist but in the end we are looking for the same things in the world - social justice; a more people caring government; a narrowing of the gap between rich and poor.

I dream of a world where everyone is honest. Where I can leave my bike at any location not locked up and find it there when I return. Where so much packaging doesn't have to be tamper proof, and bags don't have to be searched as we leave shops because people don't steal things. Where we can leave our house doors opened and not locked. Where people take responsibility for their own actions and the grave problems we have with drugs and alcohol do not exist. A world where respect for one another as individuals is paramount.

Wishful thinking will not make all this happen, but we can do our part by acting with integrity and honesty. By being realistic but seeing the best in people, and assuming the best about people. By treating everyone with respect.

For quite a few years I worked with teenagers from disadvantaged backgrounds, many with behaviour problems. They didn't want sympathy. They wanted empathy and respect, two qualities which would go a long way to radically changing the world.

Half a century ago Eleanor Roosevelt made the statement that, "when you adopt the standards and values of someone else... you surrender your own integrity {and} become, to the extent of your surrender, less of a human being." 

So it seems if you want to radically change the world you need to stick to your values no matter what, and live in hope that someday things will change.



The past week

Below is a praying mantis I spotted in my herb garden, on the oregano. The leaves are about half the size of your smallest fingernail, so you can see how tiny he really is.



We went for a walk on Towradgi beach and these tumbleweeds were covering the bank. They look like giant spiders massing down the hill.





It was very misty on the beach and very beautiful.




Peter's second eldest son turned 39 and we had a picnic under the trees at Engadine tennis courts.









Writing and posting my blog again is part of getting my life back on track after some health issues earlier in the year. I still have some doubts but am trying to make this one thing I do each week. I have been reading a book entitled The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan which has been very helpful.






Interesting sites


1. Beautiful cottage in Lithuania

Photo source
 Click here to checkout this beautiful little cottage in the countryside of Lithuania.


2. Scientists tapping algae and plant waste for energy

Photo source

Scientists are exploring the huge potential of single-cell organisms such as algae and bacteria in the production of energy. Click here to read more.


3. Five countries hold 70% of the world's last wilderness

Photo source
Just 5 countries hold 70% of the world's last untouched wilderness and  according to research urgent international action is needed to save them. Click here to read more.

1 comment:

  1. I love the quote by Angela Davis and i truly believe in following your own values and sticking to your integrity... not an easy task by any means when one such as myself is so easily swept away!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to comment.