Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Friday 3 May 2013

ALL YOU NEED IS LESS



This is my new adage - all you need is less.

Until this year I was a teacher at a small school for students with behaviour problems. But our school closed and I was made redundant. I am 58 and don't see much prospect of another job. I am not entitled to an old age pension for another 8 years and the welfare payments I am entitled to will not be enough to live on. So I am selling my house and at this stage plan to move in with my mother and brother - for a while at least.

The problem is that I have a four bedroom house and lots of stuff. So I must cull, cull, cull! Much of my excess stuff to date has gone to the Salvation Army. It is actually quite liberating divesting myself of a lot of unneeded stuff put away for a rainy day.


My House
My lovely P:-) has been putting plasterboard on my back room and my wonderful brother G spent a day helping him do the ceiling. My daughter R came to help as well..

Here are some photos to give you the idea of how the room is looking.






The new walls frame the trees outside very nicely.




Meanwhile I made another couple of practice cakes  for daughter R's wedding which is only 10 days away. I made a vegan carrot cake which was a bit dry and then this non-vegan carrot cake which worked out well.


This is Curtis Stone's carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. It is made as per the recipe except that I used dark brown sugar instead of raw sugar and cooked it in a round tin instead of a loaf tin. It was really good so I shall practise making a double layer one.


Interesting sites

1.
Unusual Buildings
Photo source
 This article has photos of 50 unusual buildings. It is worth a look. Click here to see them.

2.
The American Woods
 
Photo source
These are photos from the American woods. They are absolutely beautiful. Click here  to see them. 

3. 
Macula Degeneration Implant
Photo source
 Macular degeneration is quite common in people in the 70s and 80s. This article is about a new implant consisting of a tiny telescope which can be used to reverse the effects of macular degeneration. Click here to read more. 

1 comment:

  1. The room looks great! so impressed with the work of P and G - the walls went up so quickly!


    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to comment.