Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Sunday 28 April 2013

A FULL MOON

People come and go in your life but they never leave your dreams. Once they are in your subconscious, they are immortal.

Patricia Hampl

  To begin with I couldn't resist a couple of photos of the full moon from my front yard.


 

 

I cooked a baked dinner last night - a leg of lamb. It turned out very well. I usually cook large cuts of meat as a pot roast or in the slow cooker, but I found myself a recipe, baked the leg in the oven and even made proper gravy.

I warned P:-) that this is a one off. He is on a low cholesterol diet which does not include gravy made from pan drippings. I even put the potatoes and pumpkin in the same baking tray as the meat. In actual fact there were few pan drippings from the meat and the vegetables were tossed in olive oil first.

It all turned out very well. Tender juicy lamb. Baked pumpkin and potatoes. Baby peas, and carrots with a honey glaze. 

My leg of lamb turned out somewhat better than my practice wedding cake.

My daughter R is being married in 2 weeks. She and her partner B want a very small wedding with only 4 guests followed by an early lunch with 7 guests. R and B plan to have a few small celebrations with various groups of friends rather than one big party.

I am making the wedding cake for the lunch. I decided a nice, moist chocolate cake would be ideal. I found a vegan recipe as my other daughter J is vegan and thought it would be nice for her to be able to eat the cake too. The cake I made was very nice but a lot lighter than I planned. As it turned out R decided that she really wants a carrot cake.

But the vegan chocolate is a lovely light cake. Here is the recipe. No one you give it to will know it is vegan. Vinegar and baking powder react to make it light, in place of eggs.

 Vegan Chocolate Cake 

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and prepare a 9 inch round baking tin. 

2. Sift into bowl:

  •  1 1/2  cups wholemeal self raising flour 

  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 

  • 1 cup sugar 

3. In a separate bowl mix:

  • 1/2 cup olive oil

  • 1 cup cold water

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla paste

4. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

5.  Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Stir just until vinegar is evenly distributed through batter.

6. Bake 25 - 30 minutes. 

Vanilla cream frosting

1. Beat 1/2 cup dairy free margarine (such as Nuttelex) at room temperature for a few minutes.

2. Add 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and beat for several minutes until smooth and creamy.

3. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla paste and beat until fully mixed. 

   Interesting sites

1.

Entire clocks, including workings, made from wood

Photo source

 This is just a small article about a man who makes entire clocks, including the workings, from wood.  His work is really intricate. Click here to read more.

2.

Caravan is a work of art

 
Photo source

 This little caravan is a beautiful piece of art. Wait till you see the inside. You will be surprised. Click here to read more. 

2 comments:

  1. Ha, that a coincidence. I spoke to my mum on the phone tonight (she lives at Wauchope near Port Macquarie) and she was taking photos of the moon and the fog.

    Mmmm....lamb. I love lamb but it is fatty and expensive! I toyed with buying a lamb roast today but couldn't justify the expense. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that beautiful big full moon the other night. I always find it a comforting thought that someone I miss in another part of the world might even be looking at the moon at the same time. Maybe they can see it setting just as I see it rising? I don't know if that is possible for me and the person I miss the most, but I still like to think it.

    I find the thought of that leg of lamb quite comforting too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to comment.