Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Sunday 23 September 2012

SINGING AND STARTING A BLOG

The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach.
Yutang Lin



It is school holidays. Hooray!!

Time to do gardening! Time to scrub the bathroom! Time to relax.

Question 3 in the Keys to the Heart series is:

3) What makes you sing?

I received a craft magazine in the post today. That makes my heart sing. Being at the beach makes me sing. I love making plans and having something to look forward to. I love camping in the little caravan that P:-) and I own and I sing especially loudly when good things happen to my family and friends. My backyard makes me sing. It is an untidy bush garden but I love it.

My back yard
Clivea blooming in back yard

This morning there was a brush turkey on my deck in my back yard.

Brush turkey on my back deck


Brush turkey
Brush turkey

Brush turkey leaving


I have had a number of requests about starting a blog - some included in the comments from Piggywhistles - so I decided to write some very basic information on it. If you are not interested skip this part.

HOW TO START A BLOG

Let me start by saying I am not an expert at blogging. In fact when it comes to computers I am a bit of a slow learner. My daughter R helped me set up this blog. There are a lot of things I cannot do and have not tried. Anyway here are some points that may be useful.

1.Blogging is free.

Blogging is free if you use Blogspot or Wordpress as your platform. I use Blogspot. You will see various attitudes to free blogs on the internet because of  questions of ownership of material but I am happy with Blogspot. From what I have read it is the simplest to use.

2.No special skills are required

There are no special skills required to start a blog. There is no coding involved. If you can set up a webpage you will be able to start a blog with no trouble. Blogspot and Wordpress provide templates.

3. Choose a platform

I use Blogspot and know very little about Wordpress. I would suggest you check out each one and what each one offers. Go to Blogger or Wordpress and checkout which seems best for you.

4. Where to find information.

There is tons of information on the internet. I did a brief search and came across a tutorial here which looks as though it may be interesting, useful and free. Please note I didn't run through this tutorial so cannot personally recommend it. I'm sure there are plenty more.

There are books available on blogging from Amazon. I used one book which I can't find to tell you the title, but found it wasn't really necessary.

5. Setting up your blog.

When you set up your blog make sure you have a name chosen before you start. Have a general idea of where you want to start and your target audience.

I really can't give you much more information than this. Blogging is great fun. I began mainly to share some of the positives in my life with family and friends.

I hope this is of some help. Blogging is one of those things that you learn by doing. Good luck.



Interesting sites

1.

Photo source
I love this house. I can just imagine living in it. Click here to read more.

2.

Photo source

Bruce Munro's beautiful light show has been set up in Salisbury cathedral and other buildings. Click here to see more.

3.
Photo source
 Click here to go to My Home in a Box, a blog dedicated to houses made from shipping containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.