Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Friday 6 January 2012

GARDEN SURPRISE

We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have. 
 Frederick Keonig


I find it very easy to start thinking of what I don't have -what I would have and should have if life circumstances had been different. A father. An alternative career. Travel. Home improvements. Retirement. Nice car. Happy, contented children. Grandchildren. Husband.


Sometimes the cards we are dealt in life aren't the ones we want, but we need to appreciate the ones we are dealt and make the best of them. I have a career which has brought me fulfillment over the years. I have traveled a little, even if not as much as I would have wished. My house is comfortable if a little shabby and incomplete. I can't retire yet, as I don't have enough superannuation, but my job isn't difficult and there are plenty of holidays. My car is getting on but  I can afford to keep it serviced. My children are wonderful and  happy in their own way. They accept their illness and manage it as best they can.They may be money poor but they are time rich. I have my little grand-dog Jasper.

I am very thankful that P:-) came into my life. He is a wonderful companion and my life is much fuller as a result of having him in it.

So I really do try and recognize and appreciate what I have and be thankful for it. Generally I feel content.

Front garden
One thing I was really thankful for was to come home from our few days at Davistown to find my wonderful brother had been clearing up my front yard. My garden is a bush garden, full of Australian natives, except for a few purple Agapanthus growing in one corner.



Agapanthus in one corner
It is always a delight to find any flowers in my garden and I found the callistemon or bottle-brush below, flowering on growth from and old, gnarled stem.

Red bottle-brush
Another picture of my front garden

Yet another picture of my garden


My brother G, had also cleaned up down the side of my house and it is possible to walk down the stairs again without having to feel your way through the plants.

The next 2 photos are before and after shots taken by my brother G.

Before the path was cleared

After the path was cleared



Looking down path after clearing








Begonia at top of path
Many thanks to by brother G for all his hard work!


P:-) and I are off to Lake Conjola on the south coast of NSW for a week. We will be taking our caravan. I won't be able to post any blogs for a week, so keep an eye out for Sunday 15th January for the next post.




Interesting sites

1.

This is called the Caterpillar House. It has lots of glass walls so you would have to keep it pretty tidy. Click here to read about it.

2.
 This renovated fisherman's hut in Portugal has a  traditional sand floor. Click here to read more.

3.
  Click here to see some really impressive eye-deceiving wall art.

1 comment:

I love comments so please feel free to comment.