Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Sunday 22 January 2012

CHINA STUDY

 Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

Henry Van Dyke



Just for a laugh
Photo credit
    



                       
Reading

I am currently reading The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and  Thomas M. Campbell II, MD. I have seen this advertised and promoted on TV and on the internet. It is about nutrition. On the front cover it suggests that it has 'startling implications for diet, weight loss and long-term health.'



I am always reading about diets. I am on the ultimate quest to lose some weight without too much pain.The tricks that worked when I was younger just don't seem to work any more. I just want to lose some weight without feeling tired or having a headache. It doesn't have to be rapid. Just a nice little eating plan that keeps me trim and feeling good or at least not feeling bad. I currently stick to a routine that is pretty healthy - virtually no bread, cereal, pasta, ice-cream, cakes, lollies, dairy. Nothing fried. Everything low fat. What is left you might ask? Not a lot.

I am only a short way through the China Study (page 63 out of 417 pages) and am anxious not to misquote any body, but so far it is pointing to plant based protein as being the best. I  am already eating nuts and lentils and drinking soy milk, but I am having some tuna and occasionally other lean meat. I have quite a lot of fruit and vegetables, although the last book I read, and must re-read,  The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferris, suggests fruit should be avoided. So I gave up eating frozen blueberries and yoghurt which I had really enjoyed.

Some of you may be wondering what happened to the Primal Diet  I was trying. Well basically I am still on it. Except I have stayed on low fat foods.But I have added lentils and soy bean milk. I did this as a result of reading the 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferris. This book also suggested having one day a week where you eat anything you like, so I make this Wednesday when my mother cooks me dinner. I have also stopped eating eggs because I couldn't face them any more.

And how is all this dieting and self deprivation going? Well I haven't put on any weight. According to my clothes I may have lost a little and to do this over the holidays isn't too bad. Once school goes back next week and I am in more of a routine I will find it easier.

And exercise? My daughter R and grand-dog Jasper and I, are walking again in the afternoons.

Walking with Jasper




Interesting sites

1.
Photo: Inhabitat
This sparkling snow church rises in Germany each year. Click here to read about it.

2.
Photo:Kelly Clark
  Click here to see some more watercolour pictures of birds by Kelly clark.

3.
Photo: DIY Tiny House
Click here to see a video of a tiny house built for under $3 500. You will need to scroll down the page to the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.