Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Monday 29 August 2011

My Primal Diet

My constant battle with my weight and dieting has lead me to the Primal Diet. Basically it means cutting out refined carbohydrates as well as grains and potatoes. Eating lots of lean protein, fruit and vegetables. The reason it is called a primal diet is because it mrrors the way people ate before farming began - back when we were all hunter gatherers. The first farmers grew wheat and rye in Syria 13 000 years ago.

The Primal Diet also known as  the Paleolithic Diet is based on the premise that modern humans are genetically adapted to the diet of their Paleolithic ancestors. This is based on the fact that our genes have hardly changed since the beginning of farming and therefore the best diet for us is one based on that of our ancestors before they took up farming.
I love bread and cereal but latest diet trends tend to follow the high protein road and anything is worth a try. In my search for the perfect diet (One where I can lose weight and not get depressed) I came across Marks Daily Apple, and proceeded to purchase the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

A lot of it seemed to make sense. So I have been giving it a try. I'm sure it is very healthy. Each week day I eat 3 serves of fruit; five or six serves of vegetables; a couple of eggs; a tin of tuna; some yoghurt and milk.

Weekends are different because I cook dinner for P:-). On Saturday evening I tried Vienna Schnitzel substituting wheat flour with coconut flour and crumbs with almond meal.. Not good. Very soggy. I am allowed up to 150grams of carbohydrate per day so next time it will be back to the same old flour and Panko crumbs.

I did cook a tasty Moroccan Chicken in the slow cooker on Sunday night, which made up for it.

And have I lost weight? So far after a couple of weeks I can't say. I stay as far away from scales as I can. If I weight myself I know I will be depressed. But I do seem to have gone down a size in jeans. Meanwhile my diet is really healthy and low GI. This seems to have reduced some of the swings I suffer in energy throughout the day.

I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.