Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Thursday 3 November 2011

SOME HEAVY AND NOT SO HEAVY READING

There is nothing more exciting than coming home and seeing a parcel  propped up against the front door.


It is especially exciting when Amazon is written on the outside of the package. Then I know it is books. 

I buy too many books. These 3 books are some that changed somebody's life - I can't quite remember who - but it was a very successful blogger. So I am hoping I might learn something - not just anything - something special that will change my life.






The first book Your Money Or Your Life, by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez, is said to be 'The seminal guide to the new morality of personal money management.' Los Angeles Times.


The blurb on the back cover says, 'Vicki Robin shows you how to take back your life by changing the way you relate to money in order to live more deliberately and meaningfully.'  I tend to take the stick-your-head-in-the-sand approach to money and just hope things will work themselves out, which is probably not very practical.  I am too old to make much of a nest egg for my old age. Maybe this book will have some interesting tips.

I think I might have made a mistake with the next book. Titled The Culture of Make Believe by Derrick Jensen, I'm not quite sure how positive this book will be. I don't like to read miserable books. They leave me feeling down and sad.




The blurb on the back states that this book explores 'the lines of thought and experience that connect the atrocities of our culture through history.' From just a quick flick through it looks as if it is going to be a lot about the treatment of Afro-Americans by white people. The very first line of the preface describes the brutal killing in Georgia in 1918 of an innocent black man.

I'll see how I go with this book. I think awareness of what has happened in history is very important, but I think I am already pretty well aware of the terrible injustices that went on in the USA and in this country. I don't want to just be depressed.


The third book,  Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott looks interesting.



The Seattle Times writes 'A gift to all of us mortals who write or ever wanted to write ...sidesplittingly funny, patiently wise and alternatively cranky and kind - a reveille to get off our duffs and start writing now while we still can.'

This book sounds a little happier and it is only 236 pages compared to the 705 pages of The Culture of Make Believe - a lot lighter reading.

Anyway, these books will give me some reading to do for the next little while (along with about 5 other books I am currently reading.) I used to be amused at my daughter J, when she was in her early teens and would read a few books at a time. Now I seem to have joined her.




Interesting sites 

1.
This looks like a UFO but is a pod which is part of the Treehotel in Sweden. Click here to read more.

2.
This is the umbrella coat. Click here to read more about it.

3.
These modern pet houses are interesting, especially the one for birds. Click here to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.