Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Saturday 5 November 2011

GO MANGO

God is a Rock.  Imitating that rock-like quality is being faithful.  So, polish the granite in your life.  Sculpt the marble.  Shine like a diamond.  You were called to be a geological marvel.

- Skip Moen, D. Phil.


Yesterday P:-) came in looking very pleased with himself, carrying a box of mangoes he had bought  from a stall at the side of the road.


They are delicious. We have been eating some at each meal in place of blueberries and yoghurt,

I came across a rather strange video at  Meet me At Mikes  about 'working with what you got.'  I think I am going to take on this sentiment with my house decorating. Sometime I think about how I would really like to change things but life circumstances have made that very difficult, so I am really going to take a good look at what I have work on it.

I am pleased with my entry hall now the floor is painted.
 
Hall with painted floor

It still needs the skirting boards done and some touch up painting, but I am so much happier with it than it was before.

Hall before floor was painted
I feel much better now when people come to my door, compared to when the floor  was dark and peeling.

In my last post  I told you about a book I had bought entitled  Bird by Bird  by Anne Lamott.


Today in my reading I came across a review of Bird by Bird by Jane La Fazio at JaneVille. It looks very positive so I am looking forward to starting it.

Jane takes this quote, which I really like, out of the book,

"It's like singing on a boat during a terrible storm at sea. You can't stop the raging storm, but singing can change the hearts and spirits of the people who are together on that ship."


You will probably have realized by now that I am rather fond of quotes. I especially like positive ones. Sometimes they can encapsulate so much in only a few words.

Today I found my Christmas tree. I like to find a branch - sometimes I keep it natural. Sometimes I paint it. This year I think I am going to do white.

I like the cruciferous  shape of the branches.


 The branches have a lovely twist. I'm not quite sure whether P:-) actually appreciates the beauty of this branch. I have to admit that it comes from a lot of dead climbing fig P:-) pulled off the side of my house.
This is live creeping fig.
 

Below is the pile of dead creeping fig  where I found my tree.


I could see so much potential in this twisty pile of vines but I erred on the side of tidiness and let P:-) cut them up and put them in the green waste.

Below is the first lone fruit I have ever seen in 32 years of growing this vine. Apparently the fruit is edible.


 The seeds inside these are eaten in Taiwan and Singapore, but they must fruit a lot more in the tropics or they would be extremely expensive. This is on my Christmas tree so I will have to paint it gold or silver.

 
1.
If you are a Dr Who fan you will love this.Click here to see all the Doctor's regenerations from the first Doctor to the 11th Doctor. It takes about 10 minutes.


2.
Would you like to dress your pet hedgehog as a cactus? Click here to find out how. 

3.
This is an interesting house in Japan. It is in an unattractive neighborhood and has very few windows through which to vies the outside. but it is fall of light. Click here  to read more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.