Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Sunday 13 November 2011

MY ZANTEDESCHIA AETHIOPICA FLOWERED!

 Meanings are not determined by situations, but we determine ourselves by the meanings we give to situations.
Alfred Adler

I find this resonates with me because I have to make a determined effort to give positive meanings to the situations in my life. I try not to let things drag me down. Sometimes I am a bit of an ostrich and put my head in the sand, but if that is what I have to do to say on top of things then that is what I do.

I had a friend once who had the opportunity to go to  the UK for a holiday and take her three  high school aged sons with her. She turned the question of the actual timing of their holiday into a real problem. Every time I saw her she wanted my advice as to when was the best time to take her children out of school. This was fine, but she turned it into a terrible problem. Instead of anticipating their trip with happiness she talked about what a big problem this was.

I just saw it as a great opportunity for her family and wished her 'problem' had been mine. I was happy for her to be going on her trip and  would have been happy to talk about it in a positive way, but all the negativity  really got me down. In the end I made excuses not to see my friend.

I know there are always going to be difficulties and problems in life, but I have learned from experience that how you view them, and what you make of them makes all the difference - and makes all the difference to those around you.


Lunch at the Yacht Club

This afternoon we had lunch at the Illawarra Yacht Club. It was P:-)'s sister's birthday. The Yacht Club is quite close to where P:-) lives, and his 2 sisters and husbands are often happy to travel the 45 minutes from Southern Sydney to join us for lunch there, as they did this afternoon.

Illawarra Yacht Club on Lake Illawarra
View from out table.
This was the view from our table. It was a great view and later we watched some yachts racing. I ordered fish of the day for lunch and was a little disappointed. I have no idea what the fish was but it was a bit greasy. From now on I will stick with my usual crumbed barramundi which is always delicious.


In the garden

Today my  Zantedeschia aethiopica flowered!


Otherwise known as the common arum lily.



While these are often considered weeds when they grow along creek beds I am nevertheless happy to have mine flower as I have a dearth of flowers in my garden.


I had been watching it for a while, unable to tell if was a leaf unfurling or a flower. I was pleased to see it was a flower. If I had a special occasion coming up I would pick it and put it in a vase, but as I don't I'll enjoy it from its position near my front door.

Art around the house

I have had some of my daughter R's paintings just hanging (actually more sitting than hanging) around my house and I have decided to put them up on the wall. This is the first one to go up.


My daughter R painted this quite a number of years ago. It is acrylic paint on board.
Here is a closer look.







I think the eyes look very real




Interesting sites

1.

A three-eyed catfish was caught near an Argentinian nuclear power plant. Click here to read about it and see some pictures.

2.
  Artist uses rubbish from land fill to create giant artworks. Click here to read more about it.

3.
 

Click here to view a great website for dog lovers called Four .

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, it's so draining being around people who always see the negative side of things, but it's sad that it makes you want to spend less time with a friend.

    I get a little thrill when my spathiphyllum (peace lily, which you probably know) flowers, because they often seem reluctant to flower once you bring them home from the shop! Mine has four on it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frisky Librarian. Thanks for your comment. Congratulations on having 4 flowers on your spathiphyllum! You must be saying the right things to it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to comment.