Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Monday 10 December 2018

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GARBAGE

“There is no such thing as garbage, just useful stuff in the wrong place."
  Alex Steffen

This statement resonates with me. I can always see something that can be made out of something else even if it is rubbish. I actually have to fight the urge to keep things such as branches I cut off trees. I love to look through the piles of 'rubbish' people put out on their footpaths for council pick up.

The problem is that I collect art and craft books, and supplies, but never seem to get around to doing much.

In fact this hope of creating things has led to a lot of the clutter in my house - a lot of clutter. I am always planning to sort it out but seldom seem to have the time.

I came home the other day and found this stump where quite a large tree had been growing on my front footpath.






Marks on the road showed that the tree had fallen diagonally right across the road. It must have blocked the road completely. I had been out all day and by the time I had arrived home it had been sawn up and removed. I must admit I was quite pleased I didn't have to deal with it. I was extremely grateful that it didn't fall the other way and smash onto the roof of my house. And thankfully because it was on the front footpath rather than on my property, it seems I won't have to pay for the tree's removal.

A couple of days later unbeknown to me someone came and removed the tree stump. All that is left of a 38 year old tree is a patch of dirt.





I must admit I was a bit disappointed at the stump's quick disappearance. I did have visions of transforming it into a coffee table such as the ones below (The top two were both actually listed on Etsy for well over $2,250 Canadian.)



Photo source

 
Photo source

 
Photo source

Or I would have liked it as a focal point in my garden. I could have used it as a planter like the ones below, which have nicely weathered.



Photo source
 
Add caption

But it was whisked away before I knew it or had broached the subject of keeping it with Peter. Not that I need his permission, but I would need his expertise - even just to move it. Peter knows me well and I imagine he was just waiting for me to suggest I keep the stump, and was quite relieved when it was gone.


Cauliflower Casserole

Cauliflowers have been cheap, although they are becoming a bit more expensive now as we move into summer in Australia. Peter and I enjoy casseroled cauliflower and sometimes we'll have it as a meal for lunch. It is Plant Paradox compliant (a diet I am following) as long as you use the right cheese and milk substitute.



 Cauliflower Casserole Recipe

 Ingredients

  • 1 cauliflower
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon arrowroot (or 2 tablespoons plain flour)
  • 1 cup of milk or milk substitute (I use almond milk)
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheese ( I use Parmigiano-Reggiano)
  • Sesame seeds (optional)

Instructions 
1.  Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2.  Cut cauliflower into florets and steam.
3.  Spread out in single layer in 9x9 inch oven safe dish.
4.  Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
5.  Add arrowroot and cook for 2 minutes while stirring .
6.  Slowly add milk (or milk substitute) and keep stirring.
7.  Bring to a boil and continue stirring as mixture thickens.
8.  Remove from heat and stir in cheese until it melts. 
9.  Spoon cheese sauce over cauliflower.
10.Sprinkle over sesame seeds.
11.Cook for 30 minutes in oven or until browned.




Interesting sites


1. Theatre is inspiration for tiny house

Photo source
When this family decided to build a Tiny House they used they're daughter's passion for theatre as the inspiration for the design. Click here to read more


2. 10 reasons why Finland's education system is best



Photo source
Finland's education is consistently ranked top in the world. Click here to read more



3. Global warming will affect beer consumption


Photo source
Global warming will mean a reduction in beer consumption because it will affect the production of barley. Click here to read more.

1 comment:

  1. You'll have to come around and see some of the work Rob had done with wood. He too would love to convert a tree stump into a table or such, but finding one is hard.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to comment.