Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Tuesday 4 June 2013

DOWN THE MORNINGTON PENINSULA

We seldom think of what we have but always of what we lack. 

Schopenhauer

I usually write a post every week or so but P:-) and I have just returned from a trip to Melbourne for a week. We stayed at Wantirna caravan park and took a few day trips from there. So for the next few days I plan to tell you about our outings.

Our first day trip was down the Mornington Peninsula . It was a bit of a grey day and I think the scenery suffered for it, but it was a pleasant drive.

We called into Sorrento, a town by the sea and the site of the first European settlement in Victoria. This settlement was made at Sullivan Bay  but lack of water caused the settlement to be relocated to Hobart in Tasmania.

We stopped at a cosy cafe with a fire going. 

 

After some vegetable frittata for me and a vegetable pasty for P:-) we set off for a wander around  the pier.




Sorrento is very picturesque. The bandstand in the park was built in 1905.


I don't know the general condition of the water in Port Phillip Bay but the water at Sorrento was crystal clear.


And past the boats you could just see the towns across the bay.

 

The rules of the foreshore written in 1903 were very amusing.  Neck to knee costumes were enforced and no one was to wear them in any other part of the town but the beach.

 

We drove on to Portsea, the furthest town on the peninsula - a town of very big houses. The 3944 postcode is the nation's most affluent. But most of the homes were hidden behind walls or thick hedges.

 

We found this lovely avenue.

 

  I really like the way the trees meet over the road.

The area was fairly quiet but I can imagine the colour and bustle on a sunny day in summer.

 And the quote at the beginning?

We seldom think of what we have but always of what we lack.

How true this is of me. As I have been going through all my stuff culling and culling I have come across a lot of things that I had even forgotten I had - and yet I was collecting more.

This was especially so with craft stuff - yet I never had time to actually do the crafts. 


I think my change in lifestyle is going to have many advantages. The most important things in my life - the things that make me really happy - are not all material.

 

 Interesting sites

 

 1.

 Shipping container greenhouse



Photo source

I love this greenhouse made from a shipping container. Click here to see more pictures and read more about it.

 

 

2.

The jewel of the universe 

Photo source

This map is made of 330 000 hand cut pieces of stained glass. It is called "The Jewel of the Universe' and took 2 years to make. It is now for sale on Ebay. Click here to read more about it.

 

 

3.

 

Famous cities made from cardboard boxes

Photo source

Chris Gilmour recreates the world's most famous cities from cardboard boxes.  Click here to find out about it. 

1 comment:

  1. It reminds me a little of the town in the Seachange series. Do you know if it was filmed near here?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to comment.