Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Wednesday 20 March 2013

NO BRICKS ON THE HEAD AND ANOTHER BIRD



Autumn is my favourite time of year. The air is crisp and cool and my thoughts turn to picnicking and camping.

But sadly, (or rather luckily for me) P:-) is involved in fixing my roof. It leaks.  So yesterday instead of a lovely picnic in the bush I was helping P:-) move bricks from under the house onto the roof. I'm not exactly sure why P:-) needed so many bricks on the roof - my knowledge of roof fixing is very limited - but no doubt everything shall become clear. P:-) doesn't like too many questions when he is working and I must admit I think he finds some of my questions pretty stupid.

So currently there are 8 neatly stacked piles of bricks spaced across the roof.


As I passed bricks up to P:-) on the roof there was a beautiful blue sky above, just tempting me to suggest we leave it for another day. But I stayed focused.


P:-) , a retired builder, had plenty of stories of accidents with bricks so I did exactly what he said and didn't end up with a single brick on my head!

I wore my best leopard skin boots to tramp down under the house and bring the bricks up.



At the risk of this becoming a bird blog I want to show you some more pictures of the catbird that I took today. I love the native birds that come to my garden and it  is one of the things I shall miss when I leave.

The catbirds perch on a branch outside my window and make their eery wailing sound.

 



I am so pleased to have the pair of catbirds in my garden this year. It is a few years since I have seen them. I tried to get them both in the one shot but it was impossible.

The lemon scented tea tree is blooming in my front garden. It flowers most profusely in spring, but has another smaller flush of blooms in autumn.

 It is a native plant with dainty pink and white flowers.

 

 I don't have a lot of flowers in my garden so I really appreciate them however small.




Cream of Pea and Asparagus Soup



Asparagus was on special at the fruit market so for dinner tonight I made Cream of Pea and Asparagus Soup. I used my basic Cream of Vegetable Soup recipe, and it turned out quite well. Here it is if you would like it.

Ingredients

2 small red onions
250 gm asparagus with woody stems removed 
250g frozen peas
3 cups water
2 teaspoons stock powder
2 cups soybean milk (or 375 ml light evaporated milk)

Method

1. Fry onion in fry pan on low heat until soft.
2. Add asparagus and fry for 3 minutes.
3. Add peas and fry for 3 minutes.
4. Transfer vegetables to saucepan.
5. Add water and stock powder.
6. Bring to boil
7. Blend with stick blender.
8. Add soybean milk and blend.
 

Click here to see my Pinterest boards if you are interested.


 Interesting sites
 1.

Photo source
This is a house that has been renovated on Japan. It has a beautiful and light interior. But where do they put all their stuff? Click here view the house.
 

2.
Photo source
This article is about immune system boosters from the kitchen and garden. Click here to read about them.


3.

 
Photo source
Tooth decay bacteria evolved as diet changed. Bacteria that causes dental disease became more frequent with the introduction of farming, and even more so after the Industrial Revolution.  Mesolithic hunter-gatherers living on a meat-dominated, grain-free diet had much healthier mouths that we have today. Click here to read more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.