Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Tuesday 31 January 2012

LEECHES, BEES AND BEETLES!

 Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. 
Franklin D. Roosevelt

My Backyard

It is another hot day today. This is the view out of my window near my computer.

View from my window
I never tire of the view out of my window. The photo below is looking up to the window of my computer room. It is the window on the right.

Back of my house.
 I edged my way a bit further down my back yard. I got 2 leeches on my leg. The photo is terrible but it proves my point. I don't mind leeches too much, but I'm just not good enough to stand around taking the perfect photo while the leeches are choosing a place to latch on. It had to be quick.

Leeches on my leg
You can make out the two leeches on my leg above. My backyard is very green and lush. The paths have disappeared, so I just have to push my way through the greenery. No wonder a couple of leeches found me! What I wonder is what they live on the rest of the time. There are plenty of possums around in the trees but the leeches are on the ground. Anyway, below is a picture of my path, or what should be my path.

Overgrown path
Below is the path looking up back towards the house

Path up to the house
 Insects

On my way back I spotted this bumble bee buzzing around the agapanthus. I would have liked a closer shot but when I did move closer the beet went for me.


This was a very large bee and I think perhaps it was a native bee. Most of the bees we see are not native. They are from Europe.

When I came home later there was a large beetle in my front hall.

Beetle on hall floor
 I thought he was dead but when I gave him a bit of a nudge he reared up.
Beetle rearing up
After a bit of a look around the internet I discovered it was a  Brown Stage Beetle. Apparently they live on larvae that feed on rotting wood. I hope I don't have too much rotting wood around.

 Interesting sites

1.
Photo:HomeDSGN
Click here to view this beautiful warehouse conversion in Melbourne.

2.
Photo:Source
  Artificial beaches are becoming popular all over the world. Click here to read about this one in Japan.

3.
Photo:Source
 Click here to read about these gigantic tombs in Persepolis, Iran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.