Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Tuesday 4 June 2019

PERSPECTIVE

There are events in our personal lives and our collective history that seem categorically irredeemable, moments in which the grounds for gratefulness and hope have sunk so far below the sea level of sorrow that we have ceased to believe they exist. But we have within us the consecrating capacity to rise above those moments and behold the bigger picture in all of its complexity, complementarity, and temporal sweep, and to find in what we see not illusory consolation but the truest comfort there is: that of perspective.
Perspective. How important is perspective! Some days events overtake us and can seem so crushing as to be insurmountable. Something small can just be the last straw to break the camel's back, but when put into the perspective of life and what is important that small thing can melt back into insignificance.

What about you? Do you have things that cause recurring anxiety? Worries about finances, health and relationships are common.

One of my major worries is my house and its continuing state of chaos. There is clutter and disrepair and at times my concerns can fall into hopelessness. I never seem to have the time. I never seem to have the money. I am limited by my bad back and constant pain. I am harangued by my obsessive tendencies.

Then I spend a few days with Peter. I stand back and put things into perspective. And I look at the big picture and I make some realistic plans. I am so lucky to have a house in a nice area. I am so lucky it is paid for. It nestles against the mountains and the bush and I never tire of its setting. I love the wildlife around it, and my house sits in the trees. For all its faults it is beautiful.

Major depression is the curse of my family. My children and I suffer from it. Treatment resistant depression has shaped my daughters' lives. It has prevented  them from living normal lives. It would be easy to view it all as a tragedy, but when we look at the big picture and how much worse things could be we can put it into perspective. We are so lucky to have the treatments that have become available in the last 30 years. My talented daughters are settled with wonderful partners. They will never be rich or own their own homes, but they live lives that are fulfilling as much as possible and that is what matters.


The important thing is to face anxieties head on. Take a step back, put them into perspective and then make a plan to deal with them.


A day trip to Belangelo State Forest



On Monday, Peter and I  visited my daughter and her husband , caravanning at Belangelo state Forest. I was expecting it to be cold, but it was absolutely freezing. They were the only campers there.



Belangelo is a state forest with rows and rows of pine trees planted for cultivation. When the weather is wetter there are lots of mushrooms, but this year it has been too dry.




Below is the view towards the small lake and in the bottom left hand corner you can see the outdoor heater that Rhiannon and Bill took with them. It was wonderful. I sat next to it all day.


Jasper, my granddog, kept warm snuggled up under Bill's jacket.


And he set up a little place for himself in the caravan to keep warm.



Craft-wise

This week I made a birthday card. I used water colours and black pen. I made it for a little girl who has a thing for llamas so I hope she likes the card.










Interesting sites



1. The world's most beautiful bookshop in Argentina

Photo source
National Geographic stated that the world's most beautiful bookshop is in Argentina. Click here to read more.


2. Baby can't stop laughing after first hearing

Photo source
At 11 months this baby hears clearly for the first time and can't stop laughing. Click here to view the video.


3. The strange art of David Alvarez

Photo source

Click here to see the strange anthropomorphic art of David Alvarez.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.