Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Saturday 16 September 2017

A ROUGH SEA ( #3 September 2017)







Last Sunday morning I visited two of my favourite places - the beach and Bunnings.

Peter and I went for a walk along Towradgi Beach. The sea was rough and had come right up the beach at high tide.
  


The waves had completely swamped the local rock pool.



This sponge looked as if it had only recently been ripped from the rocks as it still had its
pinky colour.





I also came across these fish eggs. I wonder what type of fish they are from.




At Bunnings I bought some new guttering and downpipes for the front of my house to replace my old disintegrating stuff. Peter had it replaced in no time.










Now I need to repaint the pergola.



 I am tossing up between white, light grey like my door......





 or the same green as my garage door.


I fancy accessories of the blue colour featured below.

 


Meanwhile I have made a handful of polymer clay toadstools to use in some gardening projects.







You may be interested in knowing that my talented niece Amy and nephew Laurie are involved in setting up some of Wollongong's first break out rooms.

Photo source
 Click here if you would like to read more about it.


RECIPE

I am always on the look out for thrifty recipes. Here is  a standby I have developed for left over vegetables.



Cream of mixed vegetable soup


This is a recipe for creamy vegetable soup made from left over vegetables that have been frozen or of course you could use fresh if you prefer. The vegetables and proportions can be changed, depending on what you have available. This makes about 4 litres of soup. Two cans of chick peas add protein to make it a complete meal.

I began with 1.3 kg of precooked frozen vegetables that had been thawed out. These included broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and pumpkin.

1.3 kg of precooked vegetables
 I used a large saucepan and caramelised 4 Spanish onions.

Caramelised onions
 I added the vegetables and gave them a bit of a stir around for a few minutes.
 

I added 1 litre of water and 4 teaspoons of Vegeta and  2 cans of chick pease including liquid. This provides protein to make the soup a complete meal. Then I added 2 teaspoons of curry powder. This is optional.



I simmered the soup for 40 minutes until all the vegetables were quite soft.Then I blended the soup in my food processor with soy milk (which makes it vegan) but you could use dairy milk or any other substitute. I blended it at the rate of 2 cups at a time with 1 cup of soy bean milk. But you could vary this ratio to taste.





Cream of mixed vegetable soup.

Makes about 4 litres. Suitable to freeze.

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons olive oil.
  • 4 Spanish onions chopped
  • Around 1.3 kg of cooked mixed vegetables
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 teaspoons Vegeta or other stock powder 
  • 2 425g tins of chick peas including liquid
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder (optional) 
  • About 1 litre of milk or substitute

Method

  1. Heat oil over medium heat in fry pan
  2. Add onions and cook until caramelised, adding water as necessary to deglaze the pan.
  3. Add vegetables and cook stirring for 3 minutes
  4. Add water and stock powder
  5. Add chick peas
  6. Add curry powder (optional)
  7. Simmer for 40 minutes 
  8. Blend in a food processor at the rate of 2 cups of soup to 1 cup of milk or substitute.
  9. Makes about 4 litres.

Thanks

Thank you for reading my blog.I write it for myself first. It helps me look at the positive things in life even though they may only be small. Also if I say I plan to do something I have put it on record and this helps me to actually do it. Unforeseen life events have  led me to end up in a different position in life than I had planned. As a result I am unable to be involved in many of the activities of my friends. So I try to find joy in simple things and share some of these.

Thank you for those who have left comments and to those who have tried but been unable to. I am not sure what the problem is but will try to sort it out.

Lindy




Interesting sites

1.
 Earthships
Photo source
 Earthships - the ultimate in off-grid architecture. Click here to read more.


2.
 Makeover bus stop
Photo source
For the residents of a small village in Dartmoor, England, the universally-dreaded morning commute to work is now very much something to look forward to. Last summer, the village of Walkhampton woke up to find their grim and graffiti-covered bus stop had been transformed into a welcoming living room, complete with an armchair, pillows, framed pictures, potted plants and various household ornaments. Not just a one-time make-over, the bus stop has been “re-decorated” several times since and the best part is– no one knows who’s doing it. Click here to read more. 


3.
 Eerie music in Pyongyang



Click here to hear the eerie music played in Pyongyang, North Korea each morning to wake up the residents.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the guttering Peter. Great job on the toadstools and soup Lindy (not together I hope! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and the worst part of the Pyongyang wake up music is that when you ARE awake there is no way to turn it OFF!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to comment.